The period of reflection propitiated by the economic circumstances of the beginning of the present century has reconnected architects with the leadership which they use to have during the first half of the twentieth century in the development of cities. That fact is especially relevant when considering the growing world’s population and the noticeable migration to urban areas.
In order to warrant good living conditions for future generations around the planet and to safe the care of the planet itself, research in architecture has to release all its potential. Therefore, the aims of the 2020 EAAE-ARCC International Conference are:
- To focus on the city as the most relevant architectural issue of the twenty-first century.
- To deepen into the historical and modern specificities of the phenomenon of cities.
- To debate about the needs of current cities around the world and to envision an adequate future for them.
- To showcase the city as the scenario of new societal trends, technological advances and professional practices.
- To underline the incipiently recovered leadership of architects in the design and management of cities.
- To place in the spotlight research in architecture as the indispensable mechanism in order to warrant sustainable progress in human habitat.
- To become a meeting point for those who develop their research on the matter of cities, and a platform for presentation and debate about studies, findings, novelties and contributions, encouraging many more to come.
- To highlight architecture’s multidisciplinarity as a melting pot of multiple approaches, points of view and expertise.
- To open new perspectives for architectural research on cities by promoting the development of multidisciplinary and inter-university networks and research groups.
For all that, the 2020 EAAE-ARCC International Conference is open not only for architects, but also for any academic, practitioner, professional or student with a determination to develop research in architecture or neighboring fields.